NEC Baby Formula Lawsuit
Baby formula makers Mead Johnson Nutrition and Abbott Laboratories Inc., are facing lawsuits claiming Enfamil and Similac baby formulas caused premature babies to develop necrotizing enterocolitis or NEC. Necrotizing enterocolitis is a condition that inflames intestinal tissue and causes it to die. Dead intestinal tissue can easily tear or perforate leaking bacteria into the abdomen and/or bloodstream which can cause serious illness or death. NEC can be particularly serious for premature babies who often have weaker immune systems.
Several Enfamil and Similac baby formulas have been linked to incidents of NEC in premature babies. These include
- Enfamil NeoPro EnfaCare Infant Formula
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 20 Cal with Iron
- Enfamil 24 Cal Infant Formula
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 24 Cal High Protein
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 24 Cal with Iron
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 30 Cal with Iron
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
- Similac Special Care 30
Research has shown that premature babies who were given cow’s milk derived baby formulas were 6-10 times more likely to develop NEC than preterm babies who received breast milk. Parents of preterm babies who developed necrotizing enterocolitis claim that Mead Johnson Nutrition and Abbott Laboratories marketed Enfamil and Similac as being safe for premature babies and failed to warn parents of the increased risk of NEC.
Enfamil and Similac Makers Face Lawsuits
Numerous lawsuits have been filed against Mead Johnson Nutrition and Abbott Laboratories over NEC claims. Cohen & Malad, LLP product liability attorneys are speaking with parents whose preterm babies suffered from NEC after being fed an Enfamil or Similac baby formula. Contact us for a free case evaluation and to learn your legal rights and options.
Our product liability attorneys have represented thousands of people in class action and mass tort lawsuits who were injured by large corporations who put profits over people. For more than 30 years we have helped injured people and their families get compensation for their injuries. We are proud to hold these large companies accountable. Contact us now to give Power To Your Voice.