Partner Kelley Johnson is an experienced jury trial lawyer representing injured people in medical malpractice cases. Kelley is a zealous advocate for her injured clients both in and out of the courtroom. In 2015, Kelley logged 24 days in trial.
Kelley’s expertise in medical malpractice litigation includes representing over 280 clients in litigation against former ENT physician Mark S. Weinberger. These claims involved patient abandonment, informed consent, unnecessary surgery, and negligence. Kelley is currently on the team representing hundreds of clients that have medical malpractice claims against Dr. Arvind Gandhi and his associates at Cardiology Associates of Northwest Indiana, P.C. The lawsuits allege these cardiologists performed numerous unnecessary surgeries to implant pacemakers, defibrillators, and stents.
Kelley’s medical malpractice cases also include the following recent experiences:
- Fetal distress and failure to monitor fetal heart rate resulting in still birth. Case settled.
- Failure to monitor INRs resulting in massive acute brain bleed. Case settled.
- Failure to timely cardiovert patient, resulting in stroke.
- Failure of dentist to give prophylactic antibiotics to an at-risk patient, resulting in endocarditis.
- Unnecessary extraction of entire bottom permanent teeth and four upper permanent teeth of young patient.
- Failure to timely diagnose hip dysplasia in toddler for two years after birth, resulting in surgery and future complications and surgeries.
- Misdiagnosis of patient with sepsis and negligently giving improper medication, resulting in massive brain bleed and death.
- Failure to properly assess patient and disregard of patient’s medications prior to surgery, resulting in amputation of toes.
Kelley has also handled cases in business litigation and appellate law. She has litigated claims involving violations of non-compete agreements, employee discrimination, and breach of contract and fiduciary duty. Kelley’s work also includes litigation of insurance coverage disputes involving wrongful denial of payment, which is also called insurance bad faith. Kelley has also tried cases in the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court. She has written briefs in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Attorneys looking to refer cases to Kelley can contact her directly via phone or email.
J.D., Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis, 2005
- Executive Notes Editor, Indiana International & Comparative Law Review
- Student Chair, Indianapolis Bar Association, Law Student Division
- Member, Phi Delta Phi; Outstanding New Member Award
BS, Apparel Design and Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1992
AAS, Fashion Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, New York City, 1991
JURISDICTIONS ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2007
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2005
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2005
PROFESSIONAL & BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Member Since: 2001
- Board of Directors, Indianapolis Bar Foundation, 2008 – 2013
- First Vice President, 2011
- President-Elect, 2012
- President, 2013
- Member Annual Dinner and Auction Committee – 2007 to 2012
- Chair Annual Dinner and Auction Committee, 2010-2011
- Member, Impact Fund Committee, 2011 to present
Indianapolis Bar Association
Member Since: 2001
- Board of Directors, Indianapolis Bar Association, 2014-2015
- Membership Committee, 2014 to present
Indianapolis American Inn of Court
Member Since: 2012
Barrister Since 2012
Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
Member Since: 2012
FEATURED PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Represented individual in death benefits claim against insurance company after insurance company refused to pay claim after suicide.
- Vickers v. Stoops – Represented prisoner in excessive force civil rights claim against anonymous police department after police department allegedly allowed K-9 dog to bite plaintiff after plaintiff was subdued.
- Civil Legal Assistance Program Pro Bono Committee, 2009
- Indianapolis Bar Association Ask A Lawyer program
- Indianapolis Bar Association Legal Line program.
AWARDS & HONORS
Leadership in Law “Up & Coming” Lawyer, Indiana Lawyer Newspaper- 2009
Bar Leader Series Class VI Graduate, Indianapolis Bar Association, 2008-2009
- Volunteer Wish Grantor, Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Reader of Liturgical Word at St. Alphonsus Church, Zionsville, Indiana