- Meet George
George is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, creditor’s rights and business bankruptcy. He often represents financial institutions and businesses in major debt restructuring, insolvency issues, bankruptcy, and loan transactions.
George regularly lectures on topics related to financial distress and business bankruptcy. Prior to joining Cohen & Malad, LLP, George was the managing partner of a firm that served many businesses and financial institutions across Central Indiana in a variety of business law matters.
The Orchard School—Planned Gifts Committee
- Practice Areas
- Creditor’s Rights
- Commercial & Business Law
- Business Services, Real Estate & Business Litigation
- Education and Awards
Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D., 1982
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1979
AWARDS & HONORS
AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell
Indiana Super Lawyer– Thomson Reuters, 2004-2007, 2009-2019; voted Top 50 ranking 2010
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Best Lawyers, Woodward/White Inc., — Bankruptcy and Credit Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016- 2019
- Professional Memberships
PROFESSIONAL & BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
Indianapolis Bar Association
- Past Chairman, Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section
Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Bankruptcy Law Section
American Bar Association
- Member, Business Law Section
American Bankruptcy Institute
Indiana Association for Corporate Renewal
Indianapolis Bar Foundation Distinguished Fellow
Former Board President for Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Central Indiana
JURISDICTIONS ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Indiana, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Northern & Southern Districts of Indiana, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Judicial Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Judicial Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Representative Cases & Lectures
In re: American Public Automotive Group (S.D. Ind.)
- Represented Creditor’s Committee in Chapter 11 case involving multi-million dollar investment fraud. Supervised forty lawsuits on behalf of Committee and returned millions of dollars to the benefit of the unsecured creditors.
In re: Ready-Mixed Concrete Antitrust Litigation, No. 1:05-cv-979-SEB-JMS (S.D. Ind.).
- Represented large concrete manufacturer in defense of multi-million dollar anti-trust class action lawsuit.
In re: Kiel Brothers (S.D. Ind.)
- Represented Commercial Bank as primary secured lender throughout loan workout and subsequent Chapter 11 sale of 200+ convenience store/wholesale petroleum distributor. Obtained full recovery for Bank in excess of $23 million.
In re: Royal Haven Builders (S.D. Ind.) and related litigation
- Represented Bank in chapter 11 bankruptcy and related litigation involving developer and investors for fraud with over nine million dollars in exposure. Represented Bank through bankruptcy, and claims against title insurance companies and entities that received fraudulent transfers. Pursued multiple borrowers of Bank who provided credit to debtor as straw man.
In re: Victor Oolitic (S.D. Ind.)
- Represented senior secured lenders in workout and subsequent Chapter 11 case for large limestone mining company, negotiated and implemented sale of assets and restructure of $56 million credit facility.
In re Lauth Property Group (S.D. Ind.)
- Represented senior secured lender owed $90 million in Chapter 11 cases filed by large private commercial real estate developer.
- Represented Commercial Bank in workout of loans to medical center in Northwest Indiana in excess of $20 million. Bank was paid in full.
- Represented Commercial Bank in workout of loans to large equipment retail and rental business which involved sale of collateral to another company, Recovered majority of Bank’s multi-million dollar exposure despite sales out of trust.
- Represented minority stockholders in post-merger litigation. Defended stockholders against securities fraud allegations and negotiated buyout of clients’ shares in multi-million dollar transaction.
- Represented Commercial Bank in multiple pre-existing litigation cases with large commercial real estate developer. Settled and restructured $30 million of loan exposure.
- Represented lead Bank in settlement of numerous pre-existing litigation cases against large commercial real estate developer resulting in payment and restructure of $50 million line of credit.
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
- Author and Lecturer, “Structural Dismissals, Liquidation Plans and Recent Credit Bidding Cases”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum — Dec. 2015
- Author and Lecturer, “Plan Confirmation Complications”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum — Dec. 2014
- Author and Lecturer, “Receiverships Under Indiana Law”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—Dec. 2013
- Lecturer, “Workouts/Chapter 11 Business Bankruptcies”, Indianapolis Bar Association—August 2013
- Lecturer, “Purchasing Distressed Bank Debt”, Indiana Association of Corporate Renewal—April 2013
- Author and Lecturer, “The Business of Chapter 11 Use of Cash Collateral and DIP Financing”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum- December 2010, December 2011, & December 2012
- Author and Lecturer, “Avoidance Actions”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—December 2009
- Author and Lecturer, “Preference Actions”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—December 2008
- Author and Lecturer, “Dismissal, Abstention, Bad Faith and Other Reasons for Avoiding Chapter 11 Administration”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—December 2007
- Author and Lecturer, “Chapter 11 Pre-filing Concerns: Involuntary Bankruptcy Issues, Reclamation Rights, Accepting Preferences, Accepting and Fraudulent Transfer, Set-offs”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—December 2006
- Author and Lecturer, “Representing Business Creditors Under the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005”, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—May 2006
- Author and Lecturer, Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum—December 2005